WILKES-BARRE GENERAL HOSPITAL
575 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18764-0001
As Northeastern Pennsylvania's largest community hospital, Wilkes-Barre General Hospital
is home to an array of advanced, "signature" services that define its role as the region's leader in primary and specialty care. The hospital boasts an impressive medical staff of over 400 physicians, representing nearly 50 medical and surgical specialties. It is also home to Luzerne county's largest workforce, with over 2,000 highly skilled and dedicated employees. With its commitment to modern treatment methodologies, the hospital provides its patients with access to quality techniques and technologies in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
Over its 130-year history, Wilkes-Barre General Hospital has consistently expanded its horizons to improve its facilities and invest in programs, services and technologies that best meet the health care needs of its patients. For instance, in the fall of 2001, all acute care services previously offered at the Nesbitt Memorial Hospital in Kingston (including Obstetrics and Gynecology) were consolidated at Wilkes-Barre General Hospital. In the new and expanded Wilkes-Barre General Hospital location, the newly named Nesbitt Women's and Children's Center continues the long standing tradition of providing area families with outstanding maternity care.
Wilkes-Barre General Hospital is home to:
- The region's leading cardiac care program at its Heart and Vascular Institute, as demonstrated by:
- Wyoming Valley's only two cardiac catheterization "swing" labs
- A busy and highly regarded open heart surgery program, averaging over 600 procedures annually
- A cardiac telemetry unit, cardiac care unit and cardiothoracic intensive care unit, all boasting highly skilled cardiac nurse specialists
- Highly skilled surgeons and experienced interventional cardiologists
- The region's most comprehensive oncology program, as evidenced by:
- Approval of the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer in recognition of the most advanced techniques and technology
- A multi-disciplinary approach that incorporates a cross-section of medical specialties, led by highly skilled medical and radiation oncologists, surgeons and nurse specialists
- A partnership with the Penn State Cancer Institute in Hershey
- More than 12,000 advanced surgical procedures performed annually, many of which are performed minimally invasively by our surgeons at our Center for Advanced Surgery
- 24-hour emergency care, including advanced cardiac support
- Women's and Children's Center, where nearly 1,500 newborns are delivered each year
- An impressive pediatrics program, which includes a partnership with the Pediatric Specialists of Penn State Children's Hospital.
- A hemodialysis center that provides vital ongoing care for patients with kidney disorders
As a regional medical center and the region's leading health resource, Wilkes-Barre General Hospital is well positioned to provide Northeastern Pennsylvania residents with the very best available medical care well into the future.